Nosso guide

Tax credits and Rebates

mom and kid

Tax-free childcare

So you’ve got your little one into the nursery you love. But then comes the nursery costs — eek! Well you're entitled to £500 every 3 months to help with the costs of childcare. So for every £8 you pay for childcare the government will pay £2. Let’s say you get a bill from the nursery for £500. Well you’ll only have to pay £400, with the government paying the remaining £100.

To get tax-free childcare all you need to do is register for a childcare account. The process is very simple. All you’ve got to do is head over to the government website and apply. Once your account is set up, you can use it to pay your nursery, nanny or even school clubs and sports activities. Phew!

‍On top of that, if your little one has a disability, you could get up £1000 every three months or a total of £4000 a year. To find out more about other child tax credits or allowances you may be entitled to, check out our blog on childcare.

Working from home tax credits

If you have been asked by your employer to work from home for at least one day day since the 2020 lockdown then you can claim relief worth up to £6 per week from HMRC.

It’s really simple to do and for the 2021-22 tax year, you don’t need to send any documents, just go online and make the request to HMRC who will change your tax code (meaning you pay less tax).

And the good news is that HMRC has said you can do the same for the 2022-23 tax year.