Summer's gone, Autumn is here. Or is winter coming? Whatever been's keeping you busy, time to put it aside and get the kid's ready for school again. To all of you doing your first nursery or school drop off, have the camera at the ready and get ready to wipe back those tears.
August was a busy month for the team, we built, we wrote and we moved. If you have 5 minutes, keep reading.
If you only have 30 seconds, here’s your TL;DR
- 🌊 The stock market has been particularly choppy this summer. If you’re feeling nervous we wrote this to help rest your mind a little.
- 🧸Some of you created the very first Nosso Bare Trusts in August. If you haven’t yet but are interested, then leave your details here.
- 🏡 The parents on forums and social media were vocal debating whether or not you should charge rent to your (older) kids. Missed it? Here's our summary.
- 🎉 We've moved! Our new HQ is in a lovely place near Liverpool Street Station and we want to throw a house-warming party. If you want to join us then tell us you availability here (it's first come, first served).
What's happening in the stock market?
August was a bit of a rollercoaster month for the stock market. The start of the month saw markets go up, but the second half saw those increases wiped out. Why? The story remains the same – inflation is hanging around like a bad smell. With the ongoing energy crisis, September could be another tricky month. Often the best course of action in times like these is to keep a long-term outlook. It might not appear so right now, but over time, returns show up more often than not. We previously touched on this in our blog and talked about how drip-feeding money into the stock market when they’re being choppy can help smooth out investment returns.
Bare Trusts - invest more flexibly for your children's future
We had our very first group of parents open a Bare Trust for their children in August. If you have a Junior ISA and are wondering what the main differences are - here are the key points;
- You can withdraw the money before your child turns 18 provided it’s used for their benefit. Flexibility ✅
- The money doesn’t automatically go to them at 18 (you do need to tell them the Trust exists though). More control ✅
- It can be created by anyone. Grandparent, Aunt, Uncle or even Scotty the family Dog 😉
- It’s not tax free (like a JISA) but it is tax efficient
- From a legal point of view there’s a bit more structuring to a Bare Trust than a JISA (that we do behind the scenes for you). Because of this we charge a set-up fee of £99.
We haven’t made them available to all of you yet but if you wanted early access then let us know below and we’ll see what we can do.e haven’t made them available to all of you yet but if you wanted early access then drop us an email and we’ll see what we can do.